Abductive Columns

Thursday, January 06, 2005

The E Word

Gordon MacDonald says three things have helped him come to terms with evangelism:
1.To challenge all to constant movement in their journey to God. Four markers in that journey stand out. From spectator (interested) to seeker (serious curious) to follower (advanced to an intentional trust in Christ) to kingdom-builder (embraces the mission of Jesus and commits to a service driven life). Our task is to encourage all who will listen to move along that path.

2.While some have seen thousands come to faith, I have chosen to be content with one person at a time.

3.Ours is leverage influenced. The real effect of evangelism must be measured two to three generations out. Someone influenced D.L. Moody to faith and generations later there were thousands and thousands of new believers.

The people you have led to Christ may be small, but in God’s hands, your witness is leveraged exponentially to history-altering proportions.

1 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger Fajita said...

Good words. It reminds me of one of the best and most humbling things I was ever told. I was a youth minister in a former life. I was discouraged, beat up and consumed with self-pity. One of the parents of three of the kids on the youth group became a good friend of mine, so I could confide in him my struggles.

I griped that I was doing nothing worth anything, "not exactly changing the world," is what I said exactly. He looked at me with great offense and even disgust, then softened. "Chris," he said, "you've change the world for my children. Don't tell me you haven't changed the world."

Yes, one at a time leveraged against future history.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home