Abductive Columns

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Culture and Change

When western culture goes shopping for spirituality they seek out the likes of Oprah, Deepak Chopra, and Marianne Williams; unlike the 1970s and 80s when they looked to “evangelical Christians” for spiritual help. Now, they associate “church and Christians” with religion, morality and beliefs. Only those with a church background- who think it's time I "clean up my act"--will seek out a "church." And often it turns out this people group seldom is looking for spiritual meaning; more the "get a grip" and “shape up” concept of the 70s and 80s.

Yesterday my daughter, a cultural native, said she “wanted to belong to a less rigid faith community than what the protestant denominations offer.”

2 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger Fajita said...

I hear you. I can tolerate (just barely) a rigid church context, but I do not know if I can tolerate putting my children through that. So far I can, but for how much longer, I do not know. My daughter sees women lead prayers in my house church, but not in "big church." She's 6. Today, no big deal (I hope), but tomorrow, how am I supposed to answer her questions? My son (4) sees the same thing. Is he going to grow up believing women are inferior to men? That makes me shiver. When the questions come, can I fall back on a theological interpretation of the Bible I don't even believe in?

Or worse yet, what if the questions never come up and their beliefs remain hidden, silently suffocating the faith of my children?

I pick this one issue as an example. There are many. Oh for wisdom in these days of foolishness.

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home