Abductive Columns

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Criticism

When I was younger, I believed the strength and endurance God had blessed me with would overcome, even protect me, from the pain of criticism. But as I’ve gotten older I’ve come to admit how much this stuff hurts. I wish I could become a “non-anxious presence,” but criticism has been very unsettling for me of late. When criticized, I am subject to a variety of emotions.

I’m a lightning rod for the highly charged readers who find grievance with my post-Christian theology. (I concluded long ago that my style invites confrontation and criticism. It’s the nature of my calling.) Yet the question on my radar screen is, “…how do I protect myself from the gigawatts of negative energy without become a causality of ecclesiastical electrocution?”

1 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger Johnny said...

The comments of Jesus in Matt 5:11-12 should be an encouragement. You just need to be should that what they are saying has no basis, which I am sure does concern you. I also look at who is critizing me. I almost feel proud :>) when certain factions are against me. It matters when people I respect give advice. I enjoy your blog and books.
May your tribe increase.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home