Abductive Columns

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Back Home

I spent lot's of time in conversation with my father, brother and two sisters-in-law all in one local--Daytona Beach, Florida. No, this vacation wasn't heaven but it was close.

I had time to browse a few blogs. Here's rwo or three I feel are worth your inspection.



I read a good piece Andrew Jones (Tall Skinny Kiwi) wrote on Emerging Church 2.0

Emerging Church 2.0 might be those emerging churches that are shaped by new media values rather than old media. They write blog posts rather than articles, PDFs rather than books, start churches without buildings, and lack a vertically hierarchical leadership structure. Hierarchy is modular and dynamic, rather than vertical and static. I am not talking about cyberchurches that migrate to the web. I am talking about alternative faith communities that emerge online and then seek physical meetings, new aggregations of believers that connect with each other and the world through the complex networks that make up their World 2.0
Jesus 2.0? No . . . SILLY . . . He's the same yesterday, today and forever
Gospel 2.0? No . . . same timeless message but the message has always been delivered and distributed in a particular context. And I am talking about . . . . yes . . . Context 2.0
Church 2.0? You bet. [...read more the complete post].


And then two post I felt were above the average fare

------------------

Larry Chouinard posted Seek the Peace of the City

In a recent sociological study printed in the Journal of Religion and Society (www.creighton.edu/jrs), Gregory Paul surveyed 17 of the most developed democracies in the world to determine the role that religion played in the societal health and wellbeing of each nation. He gathered data over the past ten years and interviewed over 23,000, and his conclusions are startling. By far the United States, the most religious country in the developed world as measured by church attendance, prayer, and belief in a Creator, was overwhelmingly the most socially dysfunctional. […read the complete post]
Patrick Mead’s Little Tyrants, Little Kings is ala Patrick, thoughtful insight couched in Mead's unparalleled charm, whit, and humor.

How many kings are involved in your life? Here is what I mean: the bank has a call on my life. It is a king over my life because I cannot just decide not to pay the mortgage. I HAVE to go to work and I HAVE to pay that bill. There are other kings: my wife has some authority over my movements and decisions as do my aged parents and my children. My life is not my own; there are kings involved.
[…read the complete post]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home