Abductive Columns

Thursday, September 01, 2005

On the Lookout For A Friend

I’m a writer and for the most part writing is a solitary endeavor. I’ve told others that you could lock me in a room with my library and computer; slide a dish under the door twice a day and I'll be just fine. It’s no secret; those who know me recognize my constant battle with my independent nature.

Being a Christ-follower I've learned the importance of relationships, so I dogedly seek out that one meaningful, transparent friendship where trust and accountability can reign.

Through the years I have recognized five things a friend can do for you.

1. Bring Good Cheer
We need to be told that the light at the end of the tunnel isn’t a train.

2. A Listening Ear
My acquaintances and co-workers aren’t what I call good listeners. They just reload, waiting to tell me their next thought. I need that one important friend who shares with me and substitutes listening for solutions.

3. On Occassion Shares a Sensitive Tear
One day little Johnny was very late from school. When he came in his mother asked, “Where have you been?”

He said, “I had to help a friend.”

“Well, what happened?” asked his mother.

“My friend fell down and started to cry.”

“And what did you do?”

“I sat down and cried with him.”

4. A Kick in the Rear
At different times in my life I needed someone to kick me in the rear. Enough said.

5. Someone to Tell Me the Truth without Fear
I need someone to see through me while seeing me through.

I suspect you need a friend. Be on the lookout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home