Abductive Columns

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

No Agendas, Just Real Friendship

Wouldn't it be great if the overwhelming impression among the people Jesus misses was that Christ's followers were the kindest people on earth? Whether lack of faith or opposed to our faith they would like being with us. Because they know without a doubt that we genuinely like them. No agendas, just real friendship.

So I pledge…

never again to walk pass or over the people Jesus misses

I will not wait for them to finish talking just so I can talk

I will not pass them by when they're not interested in what I might have to offer

I will not lose patience; age and godly wisdom has taught me that I'm not the last line in possibilities God has for the people he misses

I will never attempt to correct the things I hear them say that are shortsighted or plain wrong

I will not attempt to make sure they understand what I'm saying is right

6 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

Wow.I don't think I am that brave. But I would like to be.

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we were more winsome, we might win some. Great thoughts brother, I could not agree more.

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If someone was "plain wrong" about something, are there any circumstances that you'd correct them?

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Fred Peatross said...

In the context of a close relationship where I have earned their trust I might correct. But not until I've earned that right.

We've done enough confronting, at this time in my life I would rather err on the side of grace.

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I ask another couple of questions? If someone thought suicide was an viable option for their troubles, wold you correct them? If someone was repeating defamatory things about your wife, would you correct them?

I am not looking for a fight, or even answers to those questions. I am new to your blog and I have no desire to be argumentative.

It just seems to me that there would be a wise and loving place to correct people. Our Lord certainly did it. Paul did it.

I understand the grace side of the situation. I too run thin on confrontation.

Yet, I know for the sake of right and wrong, marital health, good parenting, ethics in the work place, and life in the church, that some statements cannot go unchecked.

Some "plain wrong" statements are horrific, such as pedophila being "good". Some statements are disasterous, such as "I am leaving my wife for a new young woman". And some statements have eternal consequences, which if left unchecked could direct someone into hell for a life time.

There is balance. And there is wisdom on which battles to fight. But there seems to be a Christian place to stick our nose into some comments for the sake of loving the person who said it.

 
At 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you stiil hold to the point of not correcting people, except for those close to you or folks you've earned the right to speak to?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home