Abductive Columns

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Vanilla Latte, Blueberry Scone and Good Conversation

Today I sat in Starbucks sipping a vanilla latte while my good friend Jeff Garrett ate a blueberry scone. We talked about our families, friends, our weaknesses, the deer he shot with his bow, and much more. I enjoy being with Jeff. He’s so open, genuine, and honest. There are no secrets.

I was especially excited when Jeff told me he was going to retell the story of King David via a series of lessons. I love the story of David.

I’ve probably said this before but it’s worth repeating.

I don’t think David felt like a sinner when he sent for Bathsheba; he probably felt more like a lover. But in reality God had receded into the background, and David had stepped front and center. The more David, the less God. The less David is paying attention to God, the more he is acting as if he were God, acting like a god in relation to Bathsheba, pulling her into the orbit of his will so that she’s dependent upon him, acting like a god in relation to Uriah and giving the commands that determined his fate.
Before you read any further, think about that...
Now, read 1 Kings 15:5
For David had lived an exemplary life before GOD all his days, not going off on his own in willful defiance of GOD's clear directions (except for that time with Uriah the Hittite). The Message
Amazing! David’s sin was no more than a blip on God’s radar.

Praise our God…the God of Grace.

3 Comments:

At 11:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Fred, I always enjoy our visits. I love you brother! Jeff

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Fred, I always enjoy our visits. I love you brother! Jeff

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home