Abductive Columns

Friday, June 03, 2005

What Christians Could Learn via Dialogue with Other Religions

From the Muslims- Christians can learn about prayer, fasting and almsgiving.
From Hindus- Christians can learn about meditation and contemplation.
From Buddhist- Christians can learn about detachment from material goods and respect for life.
From Confucianism- Christians can learn about filial piety and respect for elders.
From Taoism- Christians can learn about simplicity and humility.
From animists- Christians can learn about reverence and respect for nature and gratitude for harvests.
Adapted from comments made by the Asian Bishops Synod in 1998

4 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Jason Retherford said...

Fred,

Thanks for what you post. As always your writings force us to think. I appreciate all that you do for the kingdom.

We do indeed have much to learn.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Fred - Good thoughts. Thanks. - AC

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger SteveA said...

What you said is wonderful. I wish we could hear such from our C of C pulpits. As part of my work, I just spent the day with two fine men from Japan. It was a real treat for me to mutually discuss our work and our lives. We shared two meals together. They were so gracious. A couple of months ago, as luck would have it, my job took me to Sweden for a few days. Similarly, we had a wonderful time getting to know some people there and had in like manner meaningful fellowship. From every place and from every people come special unique blessings.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Neal said...

Fred,

I agree with you totally, and would love to preach this from my pulpit...but...I also insist that my daughters have a roof over their heads and food on the table. So I'll just tell you thanks. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home