Abductive Columns

Monday, January 31, 2005

How do you view giving?

From a tax deductible perspective? Does a federally exempt institution influence your check writing? Or do you write the check on the basis of need?

If you suffered a financial reversal and had to change your budget accordingly, would God and his work get eliminated? What stands at the top of your budget? Where does God fit in? Is the cause of God in the world better off because you have been entrusted with money? Or does God get your spare change?

1 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I post anon because I want to be honest.

I hate money. OK, I don't hate money. I hate my response to money. I tithe to my local church and give some extra to some relief organizations. Then there is some giving to needs that come up.

Every single time I give, I confess, that I think about the tax deduction. Now, I still give, but it hurts a little more when I know I am paying taxes on my contribution.

I find myself wanting to have more money so I could give more. That's sounds perhaps noble, perhaps naive, perhaps really, really American, perhaps sloughung off my dutiy to give more than money.

Money does not create change. People do. God does. It is magical thinking to believe that omeny really does anything. It is a representational system. My personal ministry is not representational. It is what it is.

I must be generous with whatever God has given me. If it hapens to be money, fine. What about things like my time, my personality, my passion, my energy, my talents, my love, my compassion, my prayers, and so forth.

I must be willing to be drained.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home