Abductive Columns

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Going or Gathering?

A couple of years ago Phil Wyman, moved to Salem, Massachusetts to plant a church. He liked the area but was also drawn to the people, many of whom happened to be witches and/or hardcore neo-pagans.

As a way of trying to make a genuine connection with this unusual community, Phil and his flock volunteered to help set up and facilitate the annual Salem Witches convention. According to Phil 40-50,000 people come into town to learn more about Witchcraft and paganism. And just like us they need chairs set up, too.

In order to blend in (and have some fun) Phil and his church opened a couple of booths. Apparently it can cost up to $60 for a 30-minute palm reading, so his group ran a "free" Psalm Reading Booth and people stood in line for 45 minutes waiting their turn. They also hosted a free Dream Interpretation Booth where they listened to people’s dreams and then told them how much God loves them and wants’ to help them.

Scary? Never mind...it’s about going not gathering! Off-the-Map [more]

3 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Blogger c said...

what a great story. personally, when i began to read this, it was a little uncomfortable. what...christians serving those who practice witchcraft?!? but i love the serving attitude they have to put away preconceived notions aside and love those people no matter what.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger New Life said...

Hmmm. I wasn't sure what to think at first. I was suprised to learn that there are so many witches in one little town. I thought that was mostly folklore.

It was a neat story. I found that I wasn't called to condemn folks but love them. I once led a co-worker to Christ who had shared an office for two years with a "devout" "good" Christian woman who loved listening to Steven Curtis Chapman, but seemed to hate most everything else. The lady that came to Christ was "new age". I never agrued with her or defended Jesus-- ever. I never defended narrow-minded fear based Christians. I shared the love of God through my understanding of Jesus Christ. It was remarkable. We prayed right there on the spot. I bought her a bible and she read it THREE times all the way through in six months. Her office mate, the good Christian? I fired her. True story.

Blessings!
Rick

 
At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont get the point really. I mean it looks cute because you are christians.....but would you like it if pagans taught people how to speak in tongues by having a french kissing booth outside of a church or on easter if they celebrated with goddess dances? Having been to Salem on Halloween I can tell you that many christians love the fight against witches and vice versa. If I was a witch I would find it a parody and joke against my beliefs to see someone with a psalm reading booth. Just my opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home