Abductive Columns

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Notes from NexChurch Conference; Len Sweet (2)

Day 2
NexChurch Leadership Conference
Kentucky Christian University
Grayson, Ky
Sept 17, 2005


My notes from day 2

Len deterred from his scheduled subjects (1The Emerging Culture and 2Carpe Mañana) and spent all morning generously answering audience questions. Good, but would have preferred more info from him. He allowed questioners to take away time (they went on and on and on).

The best insights were:

Len said he understood “belong then believe” but said he didn’t like those words.

He gave the same analogy using John 14:6

I am the way and the truth and the life.

Way-->trust me enough to consider his way. Not asking them to give up anything
Truth-->Over time they begin to see Jesus as truth
Way-->Finally he becomes the way.


Interesting use of Scripture for belong then believe




Attractional Christianity is over! (The Super Sunday Seeker Performance)
Church is a scary place for the outsider

How the people Jesus misses think of church is similar to the way those of us who use to go out on a family ride in the auto to look at the homes of the rich.

Rich people; They’re nice people. Harmless, but different than us.
Church people; Nice people, different though. They like to sing, bow their heads, etc. Not mainstream stuff….but they’re harmless.



Top three things non-Christians people say about Christian people:

  • Hypocrites
  • Judgmental
  • Boring
Church is where these people go. No wonder they don’t come.

Jesus never aimed for clarity.



I taught a class of thirty to thirty five people. My subject was Spiritual Explorer, Sometimes Guide; Creating Safe Places for the Outsider

Of the 30-35 people who attended all were under the age of 30 except for two who were probably in their late 40s. That was encouraging. After the talk I was approached by two different people (one a youth minister and the other a quadriplegic) each asking advice on how to deal with homosexuals and lesbians. Interested since I wrote a piece on my Abductive Columns Newsletter about homosexuality. They both asked me to subscribe them to Abductive Columns.

2 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fred,
I was there when you spoke in your session Saturday. I have a ministry called H.O.P.E. (Homosexual Outreach Prevention and Encouragement) that I started last year. I also attend Kentucky Christian University. If you need any information let me know. There are a few good sites out there Exodus-International.org and Love won out also Pfox for families. Hope I have helped :)! J

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was good to meet you @ KCU Jerrie.
I'll be sure to visit the sites you mention.
Is your ministry the one you were telling about with it's location is in Ashland?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home