Abductive Columns

Monday, April 04, 2005

Family Matters for the Church of Christ

Through the 1900s our religious neighbors came to know us by our distinctive doctrines; accapella music, frequency of communion, and baptism.

Influenced by former preachers and their teachings for decades we (stupidly) argued that singing with musical accompaniment was a sin, we now know better. We've changed our view on baptism and a woman’s role in the assembly. We now realize that Acts 20:7 and other “so-called” proof text do not, and never did speak clearly to the frequency of eating the Lord’s Supper.

There are still many from my tribe who think these are contemporary issues. Others, like myself, came to conclusions years ago about these doctrines and have since moved on to the more pressing issues facing God's people.

Why not help close this passing era by incorporating instrumental accompaniment and women into your assemblies. Why wait? There are numerous public examples from our heritage where leaders bravely took the step so many only talk about taking.

The future of our heritage is beyond instrumental music, a woman’s role and eating the Lord’s Supper ever first day of the week. It’s important we put these issues behind us.

4 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Fajita said...

Yes, let's make a move.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger c said...

Fred,

Amen dudeman.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger JP said...

I, for the most part, agree, although I do not think we need to change for the sake of change. I absolutely believe we need to incorporate our sisters in Christ more in our services. I like the Lords Supper every week, although I am sure for some its lost some of its meaning because we do it so much it becomes just a habit of mind. I agree on the music issue and cringe when I hear its a sin to have it ( I have even heard that if I listen to christian music with instruments involved, its a sin...wow.) I am now learning about the emerging church / postmodernism, its a growth process that takes time....and much prayer. I feel many in the coC are not reaching the young and the "lesser of us". Thanks for being you, brother and keeping us coming back.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Chris Green said...

With you ALL the way! The next time I hear the "expedient" argument I'm going to throw up. Let's get past all of these bindings and get on with reaching those that Jesus misses most!

Blog on!

Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home